[Avodah] Not hadar is pasul

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 17:52:44 PDT 2017

.
This thread may be running into a vocabulary problem. My understanding
is that "hadar" and "mehudar" mean two different things, and some
people tend to confuse the two.

"Hadar" refers to the absolute minimum requirements, without which the
minim are posul, and "mehudar" refers to things which Chazal consider
as making the minim even more beautiful. "Hadar" is required, and
"mehudar" is desirable. I was not able to find a source for this in my
seforim, but a post from R' Moshe Feldman in Avodah 10:9 (fifteen
years ago) seems to support it:

> The chiluk between psulei hadar (learned from the word "hadar")
> and the idea of buying a mehudar esrog--deriving from the din
> of zeh Keli v'anveihu (and applicable to other mitzvos as well)
> is discussed at length in Mikra'ei Kodesh (Succos vol 2) siman
> 26, esp. p. 119 (quote from Raavad) and pp. 122-123 in Harirei
> Kodesh. It would seem from his discussion that buying a mehudar
> esrog has no relationship to the word "hadar."

Of course, there are many differing views about what is in each
category, and this will vary by posek, by first day / not first day,
and by lechatchila / bdieved. I'm just explaining the definitions of
these easily-confused terms.

Akiva Miller