[Avodah] “the miracle of judging by smell” was (Re: R. Akiva, Bar Kochba and Zecharya HaNovi)

hankman hankman at bell.net
Wed Oct 18 08:44:50 PDT 2017

“the miracle of judging by smell”

Really should be a knew thread.

When we learned this sugia recently in the daf yomi I asked the magid shiur that lechora this was keneged torah which requires eidim for most judgements. He answered that perhaps it means that one smell from Moshiach would be enough to get the person to be modeh al ha’emes. I replied that would only work for judgments in choshen mishpot (hodoas bal din) but not for cases involving arayos, malkos, or misah where two eidim are required and we are not permitted to accept his confession as ein adam meisim atzmo rasha. How would this “miracle” allow for a proper halachik judgment? That is where we left it for now. Could this meimre of chazal be limited to just cases involving choshen mishpot?

I imagine many meforshim address this issue, can anyone clarify?

Kol tuv
Chaim Manaster