[Avodah] Machlokes in Mishnayos, why?

Marty Bluke via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Sep 10 05:43:14 PDT 2017

On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 3:18 PM, Lisa Liel <lisa at starways.net> wrote:
> There was only one machloket during the time of the Zugot.  And in the
> time after that, no there was never a time when the Sanhedrin was able to
> function normally.

And how do you know that? In fact from the Gemara it seems not that way.
The Gemara in Shabbos (15) states

"The Nesi'im during the last 100 years before the Churban were Hillel,
Shimon, Gamliel [ha'Zaken], and Shimon (the father of R. Gamliel who was
Nasi in Yavneh)"

During that period they made significant takanos such as pruzbul, therefore
it is hard to believe that during that whole period of time the Sanhedrin
was not functioning normally.

[Email #2. -micha]

One additional point. The Rambam holds that the Kiddush Hachodesh and Ibur
Shana needs to be done by the Sanhedrin (or it's appointees). We know that
they were Mekadesh the Chodesh and Maber the Shana throughout the period of
the Bayis Sheini so clearly, the Sanhedrin was functioning enough to do
this, so why couldn't they decide the disputes?