[Avodah] Parshat Ki Tavo: What Was Written on the Stones?

Simon Montagu via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Sep 5 08:49:08 PDT 2017

On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 6:17 PM, Prof. Levine via Avodah <
avodah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:

> If as some hold that the entire Torah was translated into 70 languages,
> then why was it necessary for Alexander to gather 70 sages to translate it
> into Greek.  Didn't there already exist a Greek translation?

Greek changed a lot over the centuries. I'm not sure if it even existed as
a language at the time of Joshua, and the Greek alphabet was certainly much
later. If Greek was the one of the languages the Torah was translated into
then it would probably have been unrecognizable in the Hellenistic period.