[Avodah] reactionary takanos and gezeiros

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Sep 3 06:54:58 PDT 2017

The closest example I can think of is not secular.  Mennonite (including
Amish) men shave their moustaches to express their rejection of all
things military, because when their customs were formed soldiers wore
moustaches.

> PS: Along similar lines, I have long searched for a secular idea that
> is similar to our concept of l'chatchila and b'dieved,
There's the principle "de mimimis non curat lex", but that's more like
chatzi shiur, which civil law considers mutar lechatchila.

--
Zev Sero                May 2017, with its *nine* days of Chanukah,
zev at sero.name           be a brilliant year for us all