[Avodah] Why is it customary for women and not men to light the Shabbos candles?

Ben Waxman via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sat Sep 2 12:09:46 PDT 2017

I think that words like "original sin" are a bit bombastic. The issue
here is that we (the people living in the present) are living in a
reality that was affected by poor choices made in the past. Adam and
Chava may started this type of ripple effect when they ate the apple but
it didn't stop with them. You don't have to be a kabbalist to understand
that we live in this reality.  So Chava did something wrong and women
today light candles as way to somehow correct that mistake. Whether
lighting candles is symbolic and meant to teach us something, or if it
is a real tikkun is another story.

Ben