[Avodah] Rav Moshe Feinstein on America

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Sep 1 08:52:04 PDT 2017

On 01/09/17 10:58, Elli Fischer via Avodah wrote:
> That's how I read the question of the Sanhedrin's self-imposed exile, but I
> don't think that it was only that they couldn't keep up with the demand.
> "Mi-sherabu ha-rotzchim" means that society itself did not value life, and
> so a Sanhedrin that enforces the Torah by taking life actually reinforces a
> negative trait that had been absorbed by society at large.

It seems to me the meaning is very different -- they had an obligation
to conduct capital cases and execute the guilty, but they were unable to
do so because the Roman government didn't let them, so they had no option
but to exempt themselves from the obligation by not sitting in the LhG.

[Email #2]

On 01/09/17 11:19, Elli Fischer via Avodah wrote:
> He is paraphrasing the Gemara in AZ 8b, which implies that the problem was
> not that there was too much volume, but that they did not want to convict
> so many murderers.
> ëéåï ãçæå ãðôéùé ìäå øåöçéï åìà éëìé ìîéãï àîøå îåèá ðâìé îî÷åí ìî÷åí ëé
> äéëé ãìà ìéçééáå

Velo yachli doesn't mean they didn't want to. On the contrary, it means
they wanted to but couldn't. We know the reason from historical records.

--
Zev Sero                May 2017, with its *nine* days of Chanukah,
zev at sero.name           be a brilliant year for us all