[Avodah] Seeking sources on the symbolism of the hedgehog

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Aug 28 08:52:18 PDT 2017

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 09:06:12AM -0400, MorrisIsaacson via Avodah wrote:
: Hello, I am seeking Jewish sources which discuss any symbolism associated
: with the hedgehog (eg a Hart is swift, a Lion is regal etc.)

I don't know any, and couldn't find any on Sefaria. (Which is why I didn't
resplond when you asked on another forum.)

Assuming that the Tanakhi word qipod really means hedgehog and/or
porcupine (as per Modern Hebrew), it is hard to miss that it looks
like the same shoresh (albeit a different language) as being maqpid.

The word appears three times in Tanakh: Yeshaiah 14:23, 34:11; and
Tzefaniah 2:14.

But the Metzudas Tzion and Malbim (Yesh 34) say the qa'as and
qefod is kinds of desert birds. So I can't even assume we would know
Chazal were talking about hedgehogs even if they did ascribe a symbol
to it.

The IE (Yesh 14) says the word come from a shoresh meaning "to roll",
because it rolls itself up. Which does fit the hedgehog. But that breaks
the idea that there is a cognate in maqpid. And on Zefaniah he invokes
the Arabic word "qafidh". which is a hedgehog. The Radaq there says
it's qanafadh in Arabic (which is indeed hedgehog, according to Google
translate) and tartuga'ah (?) in French.

Interesting, a qanafadh is also an urchin. Wonder if Chazal would
share that metaphor.

Micha Berger             It is harder to eat the day before Yom Kippur
micha at aishdas.org        with the proper intent than to fast on Yom
http://www.aishdas.org   Kippur with that intent.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                       - Rav Yisrael Salanter