[Avodah] IVF and the Rabbinate

Lisa Liel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sat Aug 19 11:29:43 PDT 2017

On 8/18/2017 8:02 PM, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 01:55:52PM +0200, Ben Waxman via Avodah wrote:
> : I can easily imagine Rav Yosef saying "My psak deals with procedural
> : errors, not someone doing it intentionally." Would that have any
> : effect to the actual din? I can't see how the rabbinate can give a
> : legal objection based on "not wanting to have more yotomim". A
> : single woman is allowed to get IVF.
>
> I know that Beis Hillel eventually agreed with Beis Shammai, "ashrei
> mi shelo nivra". But...

I don't know why you think "noach l'adam she'nivra mi-shelo nivra" was
Beit Hillel.  The beraita doesn't say who held which view.

> This child can't exist except as a "yasom". Is growing up fatherless
> worse than never existing at all?

Ask my daughter.  I'm glad she exists, and she's glad she exists, and
all of the people in her life whose lives she has improved by being
around are glad she exists.  What an awful question to ask.

Lisa

---