[Avodah] Cohen demanding a sold aliya

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Aug 18 09:27:19 PDT 2017

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 03:25:19PM -0600, Daniel Israel via Avodah wrote:
: From where does the shul get the right to sell the aliyah to a non-cohen
: in the first place. I would assume that what has actually been sold is
: the right to choose who gets the aliyah, and in this case the unexpected
: cohen guest is the only option...

While I agree with that conclusion, the answer to your opening question
was in RBW's post:
:> My Friday night beit knesset sells the Shabbat morning aliyot right
:> after kabbalat Shabbat. In this beit knesset, none of the members are
:> kohenim. Were a cohen to come to the beit knesset on Shabbat morning...

They sold the aliyah on the presumption that, as usual. And in fact,
this "chazaqah" is so solid, RBS asked this eventually as a hypothetical;
the wording he thought of was "were ... to come" not "when ... does come".

Perhaps there was originally an al-tenai that simply people no longer
remember.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             You are where your thoughts are.
micha at aishdas.org                - Ramban, Igeres haQodesh, Ch. 5
http://www.aishdas.org
Fax: (270) 514-1507