[Avodah] Kashrut agency will not slaughter controversial chicken

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Aug 14 13:42:54 PDT 2017

On 14/08/17 14:28, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> So maybe the question is like that of the zebu, where the question was
> raised, we were about to assur,

Very few were about to asser, because the view that a mesorah is needed
for mammals is very much a daas yochid.

> But I thought the definition of "min" for animals is that they can
> interbreed and produce fertile young

This is true for mammals, not necessarily for birds.

I'd put a different argument: Let's suppose that it *is* a new min, for
which no mesorah can exist because it didn't exist until relatively
recently.  For that very reason we can be 100% certain that it isn't one
of the 24 listed species, and therefore doesn't need a mesorah.  And if
it's *not* a new min then it's a chicken, and once again kosher (except
according to Anan ben David y"sh).

--
Zev Sero                May 2017, with its *nine* days of Chanukah,
zev at sero.name           be a brilliant year for us all