[Avodah] Erev Shabbos Kugel

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Aug 9 11:58:44 PDT 2017

On Tue, Aug 08, 2017 at 09:24:34PM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
:           From the Mechaber and Mishna Brura, it it clear that the
: reason for this issur is to insure that we will have an appetite with
: which to eat the Shabbos Seudah. But Beur Halacha 249 "Mipnei Kavod
: Hashabbos" writes:

: "The Pri Megadim takes the side that the reason is NOT because of
: appetite. Rather, the reason is because it cheapens Kavod Shabbos,
: making Erev Shabbos equivalent to the Shabbos day."

These motives have a nadka mina. If one fills up Fri afternoon on food
they don't enjoy (perhaps it's healthful) or wouldn't eat in a formal
or celebratory setting, one is running afoul of the SA's sevara, but
not the PM's.

In contrast, having significant amounts of Shabbos-appropriate food but
not to the point of ruining one's appetite by the time maariv is over
would be a problem according to the PM, but not the SA's sevara.

Zev mentioned the case of tasting Shabbos food. The MB 250:2 uses the word
"lit'om". The Machzor Vitri cites a lost Y-mi and invokes "to'ameha chaim
zakhu" -- I think it's specifically te'imah. As in, less than a kezayis,
no berakhah, not really eating. (Which is why I wrote last paragraph about
"significant amounts".)

It has become common for yeshiva students to get "Thursday night chulent".
My son had a rebbe who made money Thu nights making chulent, potato and
Y-mi kugel, and other such Ashkenazi Shabbos foods, out of an apartment
near the Mir (Y-m). My son helped out.

BUT....

The whole point of chulent is to have hot food in Shabbos lunch, to
fulfill the obligation (SA OC 271:3) of making it the more special
meal. (Rather than Fri night dinner. See Shaarei Teshuvah #1.) The AhS
says one is not obligated to abstain from special Shabbos-lunch foods
Fri night. But I'm talking about Thu night, altogether before Shabbos.
O Seems to me that until someone finds a new "special Shabbos lunch food",
Thu night chulent ought to be prohibited!

Whereas one SHOULD just taste the chulent on Fri, and it is permitted
(but sub-optimal) to have some with Fri night dinner.

Micha Berger             There's only one corner of the universe
micha at aishdas.org        you can be certain of improving,
http://www.aishdas.org   and that's your own self.
Fax: (270) 514-1507      	    - Aldous Huxley