[Avodah] Decentralizing Authority

Ilana Elzufon via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Aug 1 23:57:08 PDT 2017

> RMB, quoting Rachel Levmore:
>    Alas, the last of the great Torah giants, those respected by Orthodox
>    Jewry the world-over even in cases of disagreement, have passed on.
>    Rabbis Moshe Feinstein, Joseph B. Soloveitchik, Menachem Schneerson,
>    Yosef Shalom Elyashiv, and Ovadiah Yosef are all gone

Maybe my memory is failing me, but I believe people were lamenting the lack
of universally recognized gedolim while Rav Elyashiv and Rav Ovadiah Yosef
were still alive and active. And if someone writes a similar article in
another few decades, perhaps some of today's great poskim will have been
added posthumously to the list...

Not to be cynical, but could it be that one of the factors that makes a
gadol universally recognized and accepted across Orthodoxy is that he is no
longer among the living?

Kol tuv,
Ilana