[Avodah] Tisha B'Av, Greetings - Mazel Tov on Tisha B'Av

via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Aug 1 15:04:00 PDT 2017

From: Ilana Elzufon via Avodah  <avodah at lists.aishdas.org>
"

>> There's a sweet teenager  on our block with a significant developmental
disability. He always greets me  with an enthusiastic hello and a smile when
I encounter him and is clearly  pleased when I respond. This afternoon he
greeted me as usual, and (without  having much time to think about it) I
greeted him back. I am not sure how  much he understands about Tisha B'Av,
but he does understand how people  respond to him and I didn't want to risk
hurting his feelings.  <<

Kol tuv,
Ilana

What you did instinctively was the right thing to do.  Here is  what
Eliyahu Kitov says in _The Book of Our Heritage_:

--quote--

It is prohibited to greet one's friend or acquaintance on Tisha B'Av, and
it is even prohibited to say "Good morning."  If, however, one is greeted,
he should answer in a low tone, in order not to arouse resentment."

--end quote--

--Toby Katz
t613k at aol.com
..