[Avodah] Tisha B'Av, Greetings - Mazel Tov on Tisha B'Av

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Aug 1 08:40:38 PDT 2017

On Tue, Aug 01, 2017 at 04:27:17PM +0300, Lisa Liel wrote:
: On 1-Aug-2017, at 6:01am, Micha Berger wrote:
:> We call the month Av as a zikaron of Galus Bavel and the subsequent
:> ge'ulah.
: Um... all of our month names are Babylonian.  Including Adar, which
: is a month of joy.  There's no reason we wouldn't be calling Tisha
: B'Av, and teaching our children, "Did you know that Tisha B'Av used
: to be a day of mourning?"

What's that "um" about? The month names being Babylonian is a given
sitting behind the sentence you quote. It's an often referred to Y-mi,
RH 1:2 (vilna 6a)
<https://www.sefaria.org/Jerusalem_Talmud_Rosh_Hashanah.6a.2?lang=bi>
"De'amar R' Chanina: shemos chadashim alu beyadam miBavel." Then going
on to mention some pre-Bavli month names found in Tanakh - Risanim, Bul,
Ziv, showing how that all changes in Nechemia and Esther.

Sure, when talking about 9 beAv the fast, we may well teach them we
called it 9 beAv.

But, as I suggested in the OP, maybe after the ge'ulah from Galus Edom,
we'll do the same with the Julian / Gregorian month names. It will,
after all, be a much more momentus ge'ulah, being final and lasting.
If Anshei Keneses haGedolah thought it was appropriate to commemorate
one ge'ulah in this manner, perhaps we should assume al achas kamah
vekamah the end of our current galus would be commemorated similarly.