[Avodah] Correcting Baalei Kriah

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Jul 16 19:16:57 PDT 2017

On 16/07/17 15:20, Lisa Liel wrote:

>> I don't believe there is a chiyuv for the haftarah to be read, let
>> alone for anyone to hear it, therefore it can't be invalid.
>
> But we say a bracha before and after the haftarah.  Doesn't that imply
> that it's not just casual reading?

It's not just casual reading, or even just a minhag; it's takanas
chachamim that it be read, but there's no chiyuv that one (or even a
tzibur) needs to be "yotze", unlike krias hatorah which is a chiyuv of
the tzibur.  We can derive this from the fact that if the tzibur missed
leining one week it must make it up the next week, while it does not
make up a missed haftara.

--
Zev Sero                May 2017, with its *nine* days of Chanukah,
zev at sero.name           be a brilliant year for us all