[Avodah] oseh hashalom

Sholom Simon via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Sep 19 13:33:18 PDT 2017

The most commonly cited reason that we say "oseh hashalom" rather
than "oseh shalom" in kaddish during the 10 days, is that the
gematria of hashalom is equivalent to the gematria of Safriel, the
malach that "writes" us into the Book.

(I just recently read somewhere else: "Hagahos Mordechai [Miseches
Rosh Hashanah 720 he states as follows: Safiriel is the Gematria of
Oseh and Oseh is the Gematria of Hashalom. Alternatively this hints
to the kindness of Hashem that swerves the judgment to merit in a
case that the sins and merits are equal, and the verse states "Maaseh
Hatzedaka Shalom"."  (I don't understand this second reason: the
"sholom" in that last phrase doesn't have a "hey")

I find it a bit odd to change the nusach of something so important as
kaddish because of gematria.  Do we see that elsewhere?  (Or, are
their other reasons I am missing?)

KvCT!

-- Sholom