[Avodah] Issur to Eat Neveilah Limited to Kosher Species - Is the Preemie a Kosher Species?

Rabbi Meir G. Rabi via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Aug 28 18:10:08 PDT 2017

The Mishneh, Chullin 72b, concludes with the astonishing observation that a
prematurely born calf is Ein BeMino Shechitah. Although it is born from the
union of a cow and a bull, it is - as Rashi explains - not categorised as
Bakar nor as Tzon. It cannot ever be Shechted.

What is the status of this premature non-Bakar and non-Tzon, this
non-animal?
Certainly however we kill it it is a Neveilah BUT is it Assur to eat?
Hence my Q - is there an Issur to eat Neveilah?

The answer is Yes and also No
There is an Issur to eat Neveila
but only on those beasts that CAN BE SHECHTED and made Kosher to eat -
RaMBaM MAssuros 4:2

Here is what looks to be for all intents and purposes, a cow, which cannot
be Shechted. So howsoever it dies it will be a Neveilah.
Is it Assur to eat this Neveilah like a Neveialh cow, or is there no Issur
Neveileh when eating it because it is like a horse?