[Avodah] IVF and the Rabbinate

Ben Waxman via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Aug 18 04:55:52 PDT 2017

A work around for agunot wanting to have kids: Rav Yitzhaq Yosef* ruled
that an IVF child isn't a mamzer in a case of a married woman having her
egg fertilized with the sperm of a man who who isn't her husband.

Now an MK wants to use this psak to enable agunot to conceive via IVF
and her kids won't have mamzerut problems (and have the treatment paid
for by the state).

* Yes other rabbis have given this ruling but when the Chief Rabbi gives
a psak it gives a stronger basis for a knesset member to propose a law.

See the article for more details (Hebrew): http://bit.ly/2uOmI6x

I can easily imagine Rav Yosef saying "My psak deals with procedural
errors, not someone doing it intentionally." Would that have any effect
to the actual din? I can't see how the rabbinate can give a legal
objection based on "not wanting to have more yotomim". A single woman is
allowed to get IVF.

Feminists of course could object that this is institutionalizing agunot.

Ben