[Avodah] Cohen demanding a sold aliya

Ben Waxman via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Aug 14 02:06:48 PDT 2017

My Friday night beit knesset sells the Shabbat morning aliyot right
after kabbalat Shabbat. In this beit knesset, none of the members are
kohenim. Were a cohen to come to the beit knesset on Shabbat morning,
would his right to the first aliya (the right not be embarrassed) over
ride the sale? I would imagine no, a sale is a sale. Plus, why should
the beit knesset lose money?

If the cohen says "I am willing to pay whatever the Yisrael paid" would
he then have the right to claim the aliya?

If it matters, the beit knesset is Yeminite.

Ben