[Avodah] Maris Ayin, Milk, Blood and look alikes

Rabbi Meir G. Rabi via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Aug 10 15:37:08 PDT 2017

I fear that the Halachic posture of *Can you bring a source that says we
are allowed to?* although making sense from a narrow perspective, actually
invites Halachic disaster, and is quite incorrect. Halacha asserts all is
permitted unless it is prohibited.

Here is an example in which the Shach seems to assert that Maris Ayin is
limited to its narrow description and is not to be expanded according to
what makes sense to us.
BP, those that have been found within a Shechted cow, require Shechita once
they have walked about. Before they have walked about they do not require
Shechita.

However, Ben PeKuAh can also be created via natural breeding which goes on
forever.
So we can have a large herd of BP none of which are identifiable as BP.
The Mechaber Paskens without qualifying, *until they have walked about* -
that the naturally born BP all require Shechita. This would appear to
suggest that they require Shechita even before they have walked about. And
there is good reason to understand this to be the Halacha, after all in
this herd there is absolutely no way to identify them as BP whereas those
found in a Shechted mother are readily identified as being BP.

And I presume that in order to prevent this misunderstanding, the Shach
makes it clear that the decree that requires that they be Shechted applies
only after they have walked about.