[Avodah] Erev Shabbos Kugel

Akiva Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Aug 8 18:24:34 PDT 2017

.
This past October (in Avodah 34:130) I mentioned a practice that I've
seen growing in recent years, that of making a special kugel or
cholent, specifically for erev Shabbos, and sharing it with family and
friends in the last half hour or hour before shul on Friday evening.

I was learning about the issur of eating a large seudah on Erev
Shabbos, and I came across something that seems very relevant to that
practice. Form the Mechaber and Mishna Brura, it it clear that the
reason for this issur is to insure that we will have an appetite with
which to eat the Shabbos Seudah. But Beur Halacha 249 "Mipnei Kavod
Hashabbos" writes:

"The Pri Megadim takes the side that the reason is NOT because of
appetite. Rather, the reason is because it cheapens Kavod Shabbos,
making Erev Shabbos equivalent to the Shabbos day."

Akiva Miller