[Avodah] alma vs. almah

elazar teitz via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Jul 26 11:13:46 PDT 2017

         In a get,we go to extremes of spelling to avoid any possible
misunderstanding, even if the correct reading and a possible misreading
differ only in nikkud.  That's why "v'dein" is written without the yud:
with a yud could be misread as "v'din," so that the sentence would be
misinterpreted as "the din is that you should have a get from me," rather
than the true intent, "v'dein," meaning "this shall be your get from me."
 (Parenthetically, the same spelling was carried over to the k'suba,
misleading many readers under the chuppa to pronounce it as "v'dan," rather
than the correct "v'dein.") Likewise, the word indicating the right to
remarry is written "l'hisnasva," with a hei, rather than the standard
"l'isnasva" with an alef, lest it be misunderstood as two words, "la
t'nasva," meaning "she should not remarry."

       If we are this concerned about mistaken readings even when the word
is written correctly, certainly we should be concerned if a different word
is written which actually changes the meaning, even if such was not the
intent.   Thus, I think that reading philosophical or theological meaning
as a basis for the objection to  the appearance of a hei in place of an
alef is farfetched.

EMT