[Avodah] correcting ba'alei kria

elazar teitz via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Jul 21 05:56:33 PDT 2017

     RZev Sero made the argument that "When it comes to the haftarah,
however, we do not find such a thing.  If the tzibbur missed one week's
haftarah they needn't make it up.  This tells me that there is no communal
chovah for the haftarah to be read. Chazal instituted that it be read, and
they composed brachos to be said
with it, but it is simply a part of the order of the shabbos service, which
ought to be followed, but there is no liability, and therefore no concept
of "yotzei" or "not yotzei".

   The fact that it "need not be made up" does not indicate that there was
no chiyuv originally.  It merely indicates that there was no takana of
tashlumim -- in effect, avar z'mano bateil korbano -- which proves nothing
about the nature of the original obligation.

EMT