[Avodah] The Ramchal's Beard

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Jul 13 16:31:40 PDT 2017

The Ramchal famously had the cleanshaven look.

But Google tells me the depillatory was invented in 1844 by a Dr
Gouraud of the US.

The history of hair removal stories I found focus on women. And they
suggest methods I cannot picture people did to cheeks: waxing, pumice,
wax/resin, tweezers, and of course sharp blades -- starting with the
Sumerians using the edge of a broken seashell.

So I'm wondering how it was done.

Micha Berger             A pious Jew is not one who worries about his fellow
micha at aishdas.org        man's soul and his own stomach; a pious Jew worries
http://www.aishdas.org   about his own soul and his fellow man's stomach.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                       - Rav Yisrael Salanter