[Avodah] Tuition Breaks and Tzedaka

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Sep 15 12:22:19 PDT 2017

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 06:15:40PM +0000, Rich, Joel wrote:
: From a practical standpoint " my own kid costs," is a slippery slope -
: cost accounting is a subjective art. Who will make that determination?

As implied by the scenario I gave: In Passaic, the two larger local schools
(and perhaps the third too, I don't know) will tell you how much of your
tuition can come off your maaser money. So, presumably whomever told them
that the differential above your own kids' share of the expenses necessary
to cover the exenses not paid for by parents on tighter budgets, also gave
them some guidelines for defining what that is.

But since these numbers are available, I personally hadn't thought of the
complexity of their definition.

And does the school itself giving you that number change your hischayvus
for the differential above that to full tuition even if it isn't how /your/
poseiq would tell you to compute your share?

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             Education is not the filling of a bucket,
micha at aishdas.org        but the lighting of a fire.
http://www.aishdas.org                - W.B. Yeats
Fax: (270) 514-1507