[Avodah] Why is it customary for women and not men to light the Shabbos candles?

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Aug 31 16:35:16 PDT 2017

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 10:44:12AM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
:> I have never understood the reason given by the Tur,  since to me
:> it sounds like "original sin."  YL
:
:                                  Did you think only Xians beleived
: in Chet Etz Hada'as?!   True, there is a big difference between our
: view of it and theirs, primarily that we believe it only affects the
: guf, but the "neshama shenasata bi tehora hi"...

The guf, the nefesh and perhaps the ruach.

Middos were impacted... Because Adam and Chavah ate from the eitz hadaas
too early, while it was still erev, instead of waiting for full Shabbos,
all our decisions have been consequently an irbuvia. Every good act
has some other motive mixed in, and the same for sin.

Eis hada'as tov-vara, the tree of knowledge that turns our view of
the world into a sea of gray area, good and evil combined.

Micha Berger             It is harder to eat the day before Yom Kippur
micha at aishdas.org        with the proper intent than to fast on Yom
http://www.aishdas.org   Kippur with that intent.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                       - Rav Yisrael Salanter