[Avodah] Korach

Cantor Wolberg via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Jun 18 10:59:19 PDT 2017

1) 16:1 "Vayikach Korach...."   "And Korach, the son of Yitzhar, the son of Kehoth, the son of Levi took, and Dathan and Aviram, the sons of Eliav,etc.”
The question is what did Korach take?  The verb has no object.  Resh Lakish said: "He took a bad 'taking' for himself" (Sanhedrin).  Rashi said: "Korach...separated [lit.,took] himself.
Korach placed himself at odds with the rest of the assembly to protest against Aaron's assumption of the priesthood."  Ibn Ezra said it meant: "Korach took men..."

2) In the Ethics of the Fathers 5, 17 it states: "Every controversy that is pursued in a heavenly cause, is destined to be perpetuated; and that which is not pursued in a heavenly cause
is not destined to be perpetuated. Which can be considered a controversy pursued in a heavenly cause? This is the controversy of Hillel and Shammai. And that not pursued in a heavenly cause?
This is the controversy of Korach and his congregation."  An analysis of this by Malbim explains in quite a compelling fashion why the Mishnah was not worded as we would have expected it to be:
"A controversy pursued in a heavenly cause...that is the controversy of Hillel and Shammai. That not pursued in a heavenly cause is the controversy of Korach and Moses."  Instead it reads:
"Korach and his congregation." As Malbim explains-- they would be quarreling amongst themselves, as each one strove to attain his selfish ambitions. The controversy therefore was rightly termed
"between Korach and his congregation."  They would ultimately fight among themselves. And the denouement would be their self-destruction.

3) "Korach quarreled with peace, and he who quarrels with peace quarrels with the Holy Name."  (Zohar, Korach 176a [ed.,Soncino], Vol. V, p.238). The bottom line here is "Don't Mess with Hashem."

In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.
Buddhal