[Avodah] Burning sold chameitz

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Jun 5 11:49:05 PDT 2017

On Thu, May 04, 2017 at 10:00:22PM -0600, Daniel Israel via Avodah wrote:
: Can I burn something that was hefker without acquiring it? If I declare
: something hefker (I'm not sure the legal implication of batel), and then I
: burn it, wouldn't that imply I'm koneh it? Which makes things much worse.

We might argue whether bitul chameitz means something other than hefqer.
But even if it does, how can a formula that ends "vehefqer ke'afrah
de'ar'a" not render it *also* hefqer?

I am not sure what kind of qinyan burning would be. (Shinui? but shinui
to something worthless is back to not having anything shaveh perutah to
own.) Taking from hefqer means there is no maqneh, does that mean there
is no qoneh?

Micha Berger             "The most prevalent illness of our generation is
micha at aishdas.org        excessive anxiety....  Emunah decreases anxiety:
http://www.aishdas.org   'The Almighty is my source of salvation;  I will
Fax: (270) 514-1507      trust and not be afraid.'" (Isa 12) -Shalhevesya