[Avodah] Rambam Hilchot Qriyat Shema

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Jun 21 16:28:50 PDT 2017

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 11:07:45PM +0200, Ben Waxman via Avodah wrote:
: >I don't understand the question.  The Rambam always gives reasons
: >and sources, and this chapter is a perfect example...

In the Bavli "Mai ta'ama?" is a request for a reason.
In the Y-mi, it is a request for a pasuq as source.

Reasons and sources are different things, and I think the difference
helps clears up the question.

: Yes, for a mitzva he cites part of the pasuk. Here he not only cites
: the Midrash but quotes it at length, using much more verbiage than
: in other places.

Zev was saying that the Rambam usually opens or close with a reason,
a ta'am hamitzvah. (And, as he explains in the Moreh, he only expects
these to cover the generalities.)

Usually, these are unsourced. But, kedarko, when he can paraphrase a
source he does. Which is what he is doing here.

: I have been doing my own Rambam Yomi and what I have seen is that he
: often says something like "al pi shemoah" or "Moshe tikkein" or
: "pashat haminhag" to explain why we do certain things. But quoting a
: Midrash? This one stands out.

This paragraph addresses the Rambam's not spending much time on sources,
not about reasons.

Micha Berger             I always give much away,
micha at aishdas.org        and so gather happiness instead of pleasure.
http://www.aishdas.org           -  Rachel Levin Varnhagen
Fax: (270) 514-1507