[Avodah] Redemption

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Jun 13 07:16:24 PDT 2017

On 12/06/17 22:49, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:

> Exactly*why*  is it that we can't take nekama if the object is a Jew?
> RZS gets it from "V'ahavta l'rayacha kamocha", but it seems to me that
> "Lo sikom" [without the nun, I finally noticed!] is a more direct
> source. But either way...

It seems to me that all the mitzvos that enjoin special consideration
for one's fellow yidden are based on the mitzvah of V'ahavta.  Since you
must love him, therefore you must not hold grudges against him, let
alone take revenge, must lend him what he needs without charging
interest, must not gossip about him, must not stand by while he's in
danger, etc.

> There seem to be three categories: (A) Things that may may not do even
> to non-Jews, such as stealing. (B) Things that are technically allowed
> against non-Jews, but we are taught to avoid it, such as Lashon Hara.

Where do you see that LH about strangers is to be avoided?  The pasuk
says "lo telech rachil *be`amecha*", and "makeh *re`ehu* basater".

> (C) Things that we may not do to a Jew, but are clearly allowed with a
> non-Jew, such as Ribis. I had thought Nekama was in category A, but I
> admit my error. I would like to know more clearly whether it is in B
> or C. (I can even imagine some saying that it is in a fourth category,
> things that we may not to do a Jew, but are *encouraged*  to do to a
> non-Jew.)

Ribis.  Lanochri tashich is a mitzvat asei.

--
Zev Sero                May 2017, with its *nine* days of Chanukah,
zev at sero.name           be a brilliant year for us all