[Avodah] 10 tribes -- exile without redemption

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Jun 11 16:18:15 PDT 2017

On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 10:32:22PM +0300, Lisa Liel via Avodah wrote:
: Oholivah and Oholivamah comes to mind.  And we don't gloat over
: their downfall.  Binfol oyivcha al tismach applies to fellow Jews,
: which they were.

(Quibbling about the orogin of the word "Jews" and whether or not
Malkhus Yisrael and their descendents qualify aside. We all know
we mean "Benei Yisrael", right?)

Actually, one of the topics raised was whether the descendents of
Malkhus Yisrael exist, bdyond the refugees absorbed into Malkhus
Yehudah. And if they do, R Chaim Brisker takes the gemara as
concluding the descendents are not part of the community of Beris
Sinai.

Yes, but in either case, as we cited numerous source showing in
the past, "binfol" is not only about the fall of fellow Jews...
Which I then collected into a blog post
<http://www.aishdas.org/asp/compassion-for-our-enemies>:

   The most common reason we pass around [for spilling wine at the mention
   of the makkos at the seder], however, is that we're diminishing our
   joy out of compassion for the suffering of other human beings, even
   the Egyptians. This reason is relatively new, but it is found in such
   authoritative locations as the hagaddah of R' SZ Aurbach and appears
   as a "yeish lomar" (it could be said) in that of R Elyashiv (pg 106,
   "dam va'eish")....
   The Pesiqta deRav Kahane (Mandelbaum Edition, siman 29, 189a) gives
   us a different reason [for chatzi hallel (CH) during the latter days
   of Pesach]. It tells the story of the angels singing/reciting poetry
   at the crossing of the Red Sea...
   This is midrash is quoted by the Midrash Harninu and the Yalqut
   Shim'oni (the Perishah points you to Parashas Emor, remez 566).

   The Midrash Harninu or the Shibolei haLeqet ...

   The Beis Yoseif (O"Ch 490:4, "Kol") cited the gemara, then quotes the
   Shibolei haLeqet as a second reason...

Sources from RAZZivitofsky (same blog post):

   The Taz gives this diminution of joy as the reason for CH on the 7th
   day (OC 490:3), as does the Chavos Ya'ir (225).

   The Kaf haChaim (O"Ch 685:29) brings down the Yafeh haLeiv (3:3) use
   this midrash to establish the idea that we mourn the downfall of our
   enemy in order to explain why there is no berakhah on Parashas Zakhor
   (remembering the requirement to destroy Amaleiq).

Amaleiq!

   R' Aharon Kotler (Mishnas R' Aharon vol III pg 3) ...

Then I listed others' suddestions here:
   ... R' Jacob Farkas found the Meshekh Chokhmah ...

   R' Dov Kay points us to the Netziv's intro to HaEimeq Davar...

(Since we're going from Maharat was to ethics wars, might as well play the
game to its fullest...)

Micha Berger             I thank God for my handicaps, for, through them,
micha at aishdas.org        I have found myself, my work, and my God.
http://www.aishdas.org                - Helen Keller
Fax: (270) 514-1507