[Avodah] Redemption

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Jun 11 11:29:27 PDT 2017

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 11:56:06PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
: >: Not true; how can they be different when they're in the same phrase
: >: with the same object?  The pasuk is "lo sikom velo sitor es bnei
: >: amecha". It's impossible that they should apply to different
: >: objects.
:
: >See the Avodas haMelekh on 7:8, who cites the Maharshal on the Semag.
: ><http://hebrewbooks.org/rambam.aspx?mfid=47445&rid=159>
:
: This doesn't answer the question...

But you didn't ask the question. You asserted that what I said was "not
true". Since the Maharshal and Avodas haMelekh said it, and I don't know
of a dissenting interpreter of the Rambam, I would assume it is indeed
true. This was a bit of a hasty judgement on your part.

But you said a great question, and worth exploring. Doesn't change that
the Rambam apparently does hold what I said he did:

> The lav of lo siqom is only on "chaveiro". The lav of lo sitor is on any
> Jew. Compare Dei'os 7:7, and 7:8.

Micha Berger             I long to accomplish a great and noble task,
micha at aishdas.org        but it is my chief duty to accomplish small
http://www.aishdas.org   tasks as if they were great and noble.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                              - Helen Keller