[Avodah] Redemption

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Jun 8 11:45:29 PDT 2017

On 08/06/17 14:28, Daniel Israel wrote:
 >> The idea that revenge is not a legitimate or worthy goal is not
 >> Jewish.

> An intriguing thesis, but I think you have hardly made your case.
>   Perhaps the issur on taking revenge is, so to speak, a middos
> chassidus but I think the simpler reading is that revenge is bad.

But there is no issur on taking revenge.  There is only an issur on
doing so againstyour own people, because you are commanded to love them
like yourself, and you wouldn't want revenge against yourself.  But the
objection to revenge in itself does not come from any Jewish source.

> That doesn’t mean onesh is bad, consequences are bad, or the like.
> Going back to RAM’s original question: who says the go’el hadam
> should be only thinking of revenge. Perhaps he should try to rise
> above his anger and act only for kinnos ha’emes.

He's not go'el ha'emes, he's go'el hadam.

--
Zev Sero                May 2017, with its *nine* days of Chanukah,
zev at sero.name           be a brilliant year for us all