[Avodah] Explanation of the Tur?

Sholom Simon via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Jun 8 07:23:56 PDT 2017

At 09:43 AM 6/8/2017, via Avodah wrote:
> >True, but TSBP needn't be relayed by discussion of formal notions rather
>than a how-to hands-on mimetic session. Making bread with mom, and she
>noticed that mom made a berakhah on hafrashas challah this time. She may ask
>why, etc... but it's not an >"education" setting.

Surely, *some* of it is.  Rn Ch L gave the example of a shiur, but
there's an awful lot that goes on in the kitchen, and I would guess
(I don't know, as I've never been a mother or a daughter) that the
mother would be almost negligent if she didn't actually explain some
various rules.  (I'm using a slotted spoon here, but in cases x, y,
z, I can't use a slotted spoon; or: when I do this it's not
considered borer because x, y, z; or: if I want to return the pot to
the blech, I have to have in mind x,y,a; or: this is how you make
tea, and this is how you make coffee, and this is why I can't melt
the ice in a cup, and this is why you can defrost the orange juice,
etc etc etc).

I have a teacher who told me that any women who is doing a competent
job in the kitchen has to have learned TSBP.

-- Sholom