[Avodah] Kosher Dish Soap and Body Soap

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Jun 6 08:06:33 PDT 2017

On Wed, Jun 07, 2017 at 12:26:41AM +1000, Rabbi Meir G. Rabi via Avodah wrote:
: can anyone explain and
: show some Halachic source from the Gemara and Rishonim
: to explain why it might be preferable to avoid using soap made from
: non-Kosher fat

"Preferable"? Because we make a point of using dish soap that is ra'ui
la'akhilah. So, using a treif one means taking a position on akhshevei.

I believe the OU knows they are just pandering to the market when they
give such a heksher, though, and don't lehalakhah require it. (But you
did say "preferable", and avoiding even a shitah dechuyah could be deemed
preferable.)