[Avodah] Elimelech's land

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Jun 5 13:55:26 PDT 2017

On Sun, Jun 04, 2017 at 10:40:56AM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: One sort of redemption relates to things which have kedusha, and
: "redemption" is a process which transfers that kedusha elsewhere (usually
: to money). Examples include Pidyon Haben, Maaser Sheni, and many many
: others....

I think that bringing up pidyon and temurah just cloud the issue.

IMinsufficientlyHO, it pays to just stick to trying to find a common
theme to all the various meanings of ge'ulah (ordered in a way that
strikes me as a progression):

- the go'el hadam

- the go'el of yibum, unless go'el is the term only when he's not an
  actual halachic yavam. (Eg Yehudah, Boaz)

- the ge'uilah of nachalah (Vayiqra 25:25)
- and of people (ibid v 48)

- the end of galus

To me it seems a common theme of restoration. Perhaps even something
familial; restoration of the family to wholeness on its nachalah.

But I'm just thinking out loud. My intent in posting was more to suggest
a exploring a slightly different question first -- "What is ge'ulah?"
before trying to get to a general theory of redemption. There may not
even be one, which would explain why there are different words in lh"q.

Micha Berger             "Man wants to achieve greatness overnight,
micha at aishdas.org        and he wants to sleep well that night too."
http://www.aishdas.org         - Rav Yosef Yozel Horwitz, Alter of Novarodok
Fax: (270) 514-1507