[Avodah] Is Mincha Different?

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Jun 5 13:13:54 PDT 2017

  On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 02:28:39PM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
> : S"A 90:9 the following statement appears-"V'hu hadin bnai adam hadarim
> : b'yshuvim v'ein lahem minyan mkol makom yitpallu shacharit v'arvit bzman
> : shehatzibur mitpallim (smag)." Question - why isn't mincha mentioned?

It seems to me that "shacharit v'arvit" here may not mean the tefillot
but the times: they should daven each morning and evening when they know
the minyan in the city is davening.  The city minyan presumably does
mincha and maariv together in one evening session, so that's what
individuals should do.

This is so especially if this is from the Smag, and we know from Rashi
and Tosfos Brachos 2a that the minhag in France at that time was to
daven maariv immediately after mincha, while it was still daylight.

We also know from elsewhere that minhag Ashkenaz at a later time was
similarly to go straight from the Kaddish Tiskabel after Mincha to Vehu
Rachum and Borchu, with no Aleinu or Shir Hamaalos/kaddish (or Ledavid
in Elul) in between.

--
Zev Sero                May 2017, with its *nine* days of Chanukah,
zev at sero.name           be a brilliant year for us all