[Avodah] Maharat

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Jun 4 04:36:03 PDT 2017

On 03/06/17 23:23, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:

>> Hora'ah means paskening shaylos; that was the town rav's business,
>> and I'm sure if anyone would ask the CC a shayla he would send
>> them to the rav.

> And yet, he DID write a six-volume work, in which it is difficult to
> find even a single page where he merely reports what other acharonim
> wrote. Rather, he frequently brings various opinions and tells us
> which one is the ikar, or tells us how to follow both, or some other
> expression of his personal opinion.
>
> Is this not "shikul hadaas"? Is this not "horaah"? Is this not "paskening"?

AIUI no, it is not.  Hora'ah is not writing books, it's paskening a
specific shayla for a specific person.  Writing books does not involve
any shikul hada`as, it merely involves setting down the halacha as one
understands it, including, if applicable, the range of options available
to a moreh hora'ah when applying his shikul hada`as.

--
Zev Sero                May 2017, with its *nine* days of Chanukah,
zev at sero.name           be a brilliant year for us all