[Avodah] [Areivim] L'sheim shmayim

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun May 28 12:34:30 PDT 2017

On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 10:11:02PM +0300, Lisa Liel via Avodah wrote:
: And I disagree with you about it being a halakhic response to
: reality...

It's clear from Avodah's LW that that's how they see it. If there are
other, less defensible, ideologies, that's not their problem.

: It may be attractive to present a way of seeing the two sides as
: being mirror images of one another, but the mesorah is a reality
: that predates this entire debate...

True, as I wrote
: >(My own reason for being anti is in line with my general monomania about
: >fighting this identification of Torah with halakhah; halakhah is "only"
: >a subset. And without aggadita and a study of values, there are halkhos
: >that cannot be followed -- qedushim tihyu, ve'asisem hayashar vehatov,
: >etc... So, I feel it critical to ask: Are we supposed to respond or
: >resist certain kinds of feminism? What does the flow of tradition and
: >general feel that emerges from halakhah say?)

>From this perspective, those who are in favor of change are advocating a
definition of Torah that includes only black-letter law.

: It is extremely dangerous to attempt to use non-halakhic elements of
: Torah in a way that gives them primacy over the halakha...

Again, I agree. But it's also not quite halakhah to only follow the black
letter law and not recognize the overlap between the aggadic values that
halakhah must conform to and the law itself.

Not "primacy over halakhah", but a voice in resolving between two positions
when black-letter law could be drafted to support either. It may only
get a quieter voice, it still must have its say.

micha at aishdas.org        6 weeks and 5 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Hod sheb'Malchus: What is glorious about
Fax: (270) 514-1507               unity-how does it draw out one's soul?