[Avodah] [Areivim] L'sheim shmayim

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri May 26 07:53:43 PDT 2017

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 05:03:41AM +0200, Ben Waxman via Avodah wrote:
: If it helps, those who oppose hiring a maharat are also quickly
: accused of being agenda driven.
:
: Unity: we all assume that's the person we see in the mirror is OK.

I think it's more accurate to say those in favor of hiring a maharat
believe that a certain trend is unchangable and positive, but their
halachic response to that metzi'us is a pure halachic response.

Unfortunately too many who are opposed think that there is an agenda
to make halakhah more feminist. Rather, I see it as trying to have
a halachic response to a progressively more feminist reality.

Whereas those who are pro think that talk of "mesorah" is just a means
of cloaking agenda into jargon, so that the antis are following a
non-halachic agenda by making it look holy.

(My own reason for being anti is in line with my general monomania about
fighting this identification of Torah with halakhah; halakhah is "only"
a subset. And without aggadita and a study of values, there are halkhos
that cannot be followed -- qedushim tihyu, ve'asisem hayashar vehatov,
etc... So, I feel it critical to ask: Are we supposed to respond or
resist certain kinds of feminism? What does the flow of tradition and
general feel that emerges from halakhah say?)