[Avodah] The Aruch haShulchan and the Government

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri May 26 08:33:41 PDT 2017

On 26/05/17 10:57, Micha Berger wrote:
> On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 07:50:44AM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
> :> 1905 was the year the empire survived the Russian Refolution, which
> :> was over this very issue of Russification of minorities, among other
> :> things.
>
> : Or, if you like, instead of calling it self-censorship you can see
> : it as bitter irony, obvious to the intended audience, but to which
> : the censor could raise no official objection, even though it would
> : have been obvious to him too.
>
> I really find it incredibly unlikely that RYME included a false pesaq in
> his work in order to share some bittere loichter with his first-generation
> audience.

candlesticks?  I think you meant gelecther.   But there's no false psak,
just a false description of the metzius, which is so over the top that
nobody could miss it.

> Since he left in his tzava instructions about printing the remaining
> qunterisin (which ended up including nidon didan) and about collecting
> them into volumes, it is even more implausible he thought of only his
> contemporary readers.

How could he possibly know what future conditions might be?  Any
reference in any sefer to "our times" has to be understood as about the
author's times, not the reader's.

--
Zev Sero                May 2017, with its *nine* days of Chanukah,
zev at sero.name           be a brilliant year for us all