[Avodah] Minhagei Nashim

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu May 25 18:26:54 PDT 2017

On Sun, May 07, 2017 at 06:51:56AM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: I am NOT talking about a machlokes haposkim, where the wife was taught one
: thing and the husband was taught something else. In that case, there is
: much common ground, and they (or their rav) can go to the sources to figure
: out what the couple should do. I'm talking about a much more fundamental
: problem, where generations have passed on different traditions, without
: anyone ever realizing that there was a mismatch.

Is this really a problem?

I highly recommend learning AhS. One of the things you get to watch
is how much this conflict drives the dialectic of halakhah. Unlike the
clean-room approach to halachic theory one gets from lomdus. You get a
sense of how much acceptance of a practice in the field drives how much
willingness to accept or draft a dachuq theory to explain how it could
be justified in theory.

micha at aishdas.org        6 weeks and 2 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Gevurah sheb'Malchus: What type of justice
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            does unity demand?