[Avodah] Bar Mitzvah at the Age of 12

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sat May 20 23:08:28 PDT 2017

On 20/05/17 05:14, David Havin via Avodah wrote:
> My maternal grandfather, who lived in Lithuania until his late teens,
> told me on a number of occasions that he celebrated his bar mitzvah when
> he was 12 years old, as his father had died and he was considered to be
> an orphan.
>
> Some years ago I recalled this and decided to learn more about the
> custom, but each of the rabbis I asked had never heard of it.  Recently,
> however, I was re-reading A Tzadik in Our Time: The Life of Reb Aryeh
> Levin and, at page 95, he recounts that he attended a bar mitzvah of an
> orphan in Jerusalem on his 12^th birthday.
>
> Does anyone know anything of this custom?

There is, of course, no such custom of becoming a bar mitzvah early.
But it was a common custom that a child with no father would begin
putting on tefillin a full year before his bar mitzvah, rather than a
few weeks or months as is the usual custom.  See Aruch Hashulchan 37:4,
who says this is "murgal befi hahamon", but he knows of no reason for
it, and disapproves of it.

See: http://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=374&pgnum=295

--
Zev Sero                May 2017, with its *nine* days of Chanukah,
zev at sero.name           be a brilliant year for us all