[Avodah] Music on the night of Lag B'Omer

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sat May 13 21:20:01 PDT 2017

On 13/05/17 22:10, Moshe Yehuda Gluck via Avodah wrote:
> It seems quite common that people have bonfires with music on the
> evening of Lag B’Omer. I haven’t found a compelling reason for this
> custom – even those who are meikil like the Rama to lift the Aveilus on
> Lag B’Omer don’t do so until the day, I thought, as miktzas hayom
> k’kulo. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Yes.  If one is merely noting the end of aveilus, then it starts in the
morning, tachanun (or Tzidkas'cha) is said at the previous mincha, and
bichlal it's not a celebration, any more than one celebrates when
getting up from shiva.  I've never heard of people singing and dancing
and playing music on such an occasion, even if it's permitted.  But if
one is celebrating Rashbi's yom hillula then it's a full holiday, an
occasion for song and dance and music, and of course it starts at night,
with no tachanun at the previous mincha.

--
Zev Sero                May 2017, with its *nine* days of Chanukah,
zev at sero.name           be a brilliant year for us all