[Avodah] Tahor App

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri May 12 08:36:06 PDT 2017

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 10:33am EDT, R Yosef Gavriel Bechhofer wrote:
: I am somewhat conflicted on this. OTOH, the nuances of coloring will
: be distorted by many displays - perhaps all displays. OTOH, perhaps
: women who otherwise would not ask she'eilos would use this service.

Because of "The Dress" I am worried that "perhaps all displays" really
understates the possibility of getting a color wrong.

While the problem you raise is real. I would still recommend yoatzos
as a better solution. Still, there are women who still wouldn't go to
antoher woman, or who live in an area with no one to ask.

RnTK wrote:
: According to wiki the human eye can distinguish about ten million different
: colors. Other sources say "only" seven million. ...
: A computer screen can display about 33,000 different colors...
: small fraction of the number of shades in nature that the human eye can see.
: The takeaway -- to my mind -- is that the tahor app probably can't be
: relied on. The rav needs to see the actual color, not on a screen.

I think the problem I raised can lead to more profound misassessments.
The precision of color displays will blur the edges. And the rabbis
behind Tahor App say that it's only for more clear cases. What had me
concerned is that that perception is based on more context colors and
lighting specifics than the phone's camera may capture. Thus "the dress",
which is explained, amongst other startling optical illusions involving
color perception here
<http://nerdist.com/5-optical-illusions-that-show-you-why-your-brain-messes-with-the-dress>.
It is easy to make a large mistake in color identification even while
convinced the color is obvious. All it takes is seeing the picture in
different lighting than it was taken.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             Today is the 31st day, which is
micha at aishdas.org        4 weeks and 3 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Tifferes sheb'Hod: What level of submission
Fax: (270) 514-1507                      results in harmony and balance?