[Avodah] Tahor App

via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri May 12 08:37:05 PDT 2017

From: Micha Berger via Avodah  avodah at lists.aishdas.org

Someone mentioned tahorapp.com  on-line, so I took a look at their web site.
To quote:
> Keeping  Tradition &
> Keeping Your Privacy

> Rabbinically Approved!  Anonymously send pictures of your Taharas
> Hamishpacha questions to a Rav  right from your own home. Receive answers
> quickly and privately.  Download Tahor App For Free!

I then thought of "The Dress"  <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dress>,
a picture of a  black-and-blue dress that floated around the internet that
many of us  perceived as white-and-gold......

.....So, given that people guess at the  background lighting when they see a
picture and then subconsciously correct  for it (see explanation on
wikipedia page), how could a rav rely on a Tahor  App image?

--
Micha  Berger
micha at aishdas.org

According to wiki the human eye can distinguish about ten million different
 colors.  Other sources say "only" seven million.  (Not relevant here  but
interesting:  Some birds, some fish, some reptiles, even some  insects, like
bees, can see colors we can't see.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_vision

A computer screen can display about 33,000 different colors -- only a
small fraction of the number of shades in nature that the human eye can  see.

http://www.rit-mcsl.org/fairchild/WhyIsColor/Questions/4-6.html

The takeaway -- to my mind -- is that the tahor app probably can't be
relied on.  The rav needs to see the actual color, not on a screen.

--Toby Katz
t613k at aol.com
..