[Avodah] nidche

Daniel Israel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu May 4 20:54:36 PDT 2017

On May 3, 2017, at 7:06 AM, Yosef Gavriel Bechhofer via Avodah <avodah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:
> That's fine. A secular holiday can and should be pushed off. But it is
> no longer a religious holiday that can allow someone to say Hallel --
> certainly -- with a bracha and push off sefirah minhagim. The Halachically
> viable basis for Hallel and simcha during sefirah is only applicable to
> 5 Iyar.

My gut is with you on this.  But then we do need to at least address the precedent of Purim.  We don’t say Hallel, but we say a bracha on the Megillah.  And Chazal were willing to push off Purim to avoid chillul Shabbos.  Now there are some important differences.  For one thing, Purim seemed to be a concern of ignorance, not secularity.  But it does seem to establish the precedent that it can be done.

Whether it should be done is a different question.  Following the precedent of Purim would seem to argue for pushing off until Sunday, but not until Monday, and certainly not Tuesday.  Yom HaZikaron could be pushed earlier.

—
Daniel Israel
Kol BeRamah Torah Learning Center of Santa Fe, President
daniel at kolberamah.org