[Avodah] Nidche

Akiva Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed May 3 16:28:19 PDT 2017

R' Micha Berger reposted from elsewhere:

>  Initially, Rav Levine followed Rav Soloveichik's ruling on this
>  subject and instructed his congregants to always recite Hallel on
>  the fifth of Iyar. However, the internet forced him to change his
>  position. If I understand correctly from our brief conversation,
>  Rav Levine's reasoning was that, in the past, Yom Ha-Atzma'ut
>  celebrations were local, taking place in synagogues and schools with
>  perhaps some articles in the Jewish newspaper. It was easy for a
>  community to determine its own date to celebrate.

Why should telecommunications affect the day that my community says
Hallel? Should we all start reading Megilas Esther on 15 Adar?

R' Ben Waxman wrote:

> Yom Hazikaron/Yom Azmaut are unique in that they are pushed
> off even if they don't start on Shabbat but even on Motzash.

Maybe not as unique as it seems. Isn't there a gezera against Motzaei
Shabbos weddings for exactly this same reason - because of the
likelihood that the preparations would begin on Shabbos?

RBW also wrote:

> My dream is that people will come to understand how wrong it
> is to make people (including dati'im) work on Shabbat when Lag
> B'omer falls on Motzash and will take the appropriate steps.

Amen!!

Akiva Miller