[Avodah] Nidche

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon May 1 10:23:03 PDT 2017

Last year, in http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/vol34/v34n055.shtml#10 ,
RHM gave R' Aharon Soloveitchik's shitah. Much like this year, although
last iteration he added:
                                                               One can
    review the Halachic sources RAS used in his book 'Logic of the heart,
    Logic of the Mind'.

I responded in the post right below it, quoting
RGS, http://www.torahmusings.com/technology-halakhic-change-yom-ha-atzmaut ,
who in turn was commenting on R/Dr Aaron Levin of Flatbush's evolving
practice:

    In America, where the celebrations can be more easily controlled to
    avoid the desecration of Shabbos, many authorities did not recognize
    the change of date, among them Rav Ahron Soloveichik and Rav Hershel
    Schachter. They insisted that people recite Hallel on the fifth of
    Iyar -- the day of the miracle of the declaration of the State of
    Israel -- regardless of when Israelis celebrate the day. Rav Aaron
    Levine's son, Rav Efraim Levine, told me that his father had to
    change his position on this question over time.

    Initially, Rav Levine followed Rav Soloveichik's ruling on this
    subject and instructed his congregants to always recite Hallel on
    the fifth of Iyar. However, the internet forced him to change his
    position. If I understand correctly from our brief conversation,
    Rav Levine's reasoning was that, in the past, Yom Ha-Atzma'ut
    celebrations were local, taking place in synagogues and schools with
    perhaps some articles in the Jewish newspaper. It was easy for a
    community to determine its own date to celebrate.

To which I added:
    RAS might have decided similarly or not had he lived to see the day
    when the primary intercontinental communication was the telephone,
    not the aerogram. We can't know.

micha at aishdas.org        2 weeks and 6 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Yesod sheb'Tifferes: What role does harmony
Fax: (270) 514-1507                   play in maintaining relationships?